Thursday, February 7, 2008

This Cup

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. The season of Lent begins. I just started reading through the New Testament with my kids and I hope, within 40 days, we’ll get to the time before Jesus’ crucifixion where, in the Garden of Gethsamane , he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.” (Mt 26:39)

I have been thinking about cups a lot lately. A friend brought the imagery to mind as an analogy for her life. Her cup has doubt in it. Her cup has insecurity. Her cup has 2 boys with learning disabilities. My cup is different from hers in some ways. Similar in others. My cup has loneliness. My cup has a tendency toward despair. My cup has impatience and forgetfulness. My cup has a history with divorce. My cup contains vanity, pride and fear.

Some people have cups filled with disease, abuse, financial troubles, and repeated job loss. Others’ cups are loaded with hurt, worry, medical bills, dreams unrealized, and lost hope. Yet others are loaded with addiction, anxiety, bitterness, discontent, insomnia, adultery, unforgiveness, broken hearts and promises, sorrow and loss.

Some of the things in our cups are things we choose. Other things are part of the recipe of a fallen world. Yet other ingredients are allowed in our cup and often times, we don’t know why. When Peter tried to defend Jesus at His arrest Jesus commanded, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?" (John 18:11) Jesus didn’t want His cup yet he was willing to drink it.

The truth of the matter is that our cup, regardless of its ingredients, is ours. It belongs to us alone. No one else has a cup quite like mine. No one else has a cup quite like yours. No one else had Jesus’ cup and like the rest of us, he didn’t want it. In fact the Gospel of Matthew reads that he fell on the ground, face first and asked for the cup to be taken 3 different times! Initially, he wanted that cup removed.

I think the Bible tells this story of Jesus and the cup to enrich our understanding of His humanity. To remind us that when we wish the cup to pass, it is okay to ask God, “Let this cup be taken from me.” Christ understands. He’s been there.

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Mt 26:39)

The scripture notes that each time Jesus asks for the cup to be removed, he finishes his remark with “not as I will, but as you will.” Perhaps then the lesson for us is to be willing to want God’s will. No matter what. Are we embracing our cup? Are we willing to drink it? Even if we feel we don’t deserve or understand what’s in it?

I struggle with my cup more often than I would like to admit, but I refuse to see it as half empty. No, my cup is full, for like the Psalmist writes, “The Lord, has assigned me my portion and my cup; He has made my lot secure.” I may end up flat on my face at times, but when I do, I will be holding on tightly to my cup with both hands. I don’t want one drop of God’s will to spill out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame." Romans 5:3-5
Even when our cup seems half empty, it runneth over...because that is what brings us closer to the Heavenly Father and Christ in whom we have hope eternal! We miss you! Glad to see our sweeties got their sweeties! Love, Auntie

Unknown said...

And...I am guessing that the Mrs. Prindables basket is the Valentine's hint!