Saturday, June 21, 2008

Stuff About Julie


This is just stuff about my friend Julie who is Hiking Half Dome with Me, Sunday, June 22, 2008.

She scares me. She’ll probably kick my butt to the top of that rock. She can do at least one perfect push-up and probably more but she’s too humble. She won’t show off. I like that Julie won’t show off. No one needs an inferiority complex, at least not when they are combating cellulite and wrinkles.

Maybe you want to know why I know she can do a perfect push-up? She teaches our homeschool PE class. She actually teaches kids how to do at least one perfect push-up. That's one subject I can't teach.

Julie smiles and laughs but the wheels behind her sparkly eyes are turning. One of these days I plan to catch her in an all out belly laugh. I know she is capable. She is really funny.

She has a great blog and way too much time on her hands to be that creative. Perhaps she doesn’t sleep at night?

She takes great pictures. The picture of me and my family in front of bamboo at the zoo; she took that. As I got a closer look at her blog, I realized those weren’t borrowed pictures from some nebula of the world wide galaxy, no! SHE takes those pictures.

Julie knows everyone and has been everywhere... except the top of Half Dome. I’ve been there. She hasn’t. It’s the only thing I can hold over her head.

Julie’s 3 children are nearly the same ages as my 3 children. They are the only other children I know who enjoy playing chess.

Julie homeschools like me. We both use Saxon Math. We both use Institute for Excellence in Writing. We both like Apologia. We both wonder if we’ll come out alive on the other end of homeschooling.

Julie sings. I don’t know how good she is, but when I look at every other aspect of her life, I’m thinking she’s probably pretty good and since I sing too, maybe one day we’ll do a duet! As I think about it, I wonder if she’s good at dancing. Maybe we’ll do the Happy Dance on top of Half Dome!

Julie wears a cool leather jacket in the winter. I need a cool black leather jacket. Doesn’t everyone?

One thing everyone needs, is a friend like Julie they can hike 8 miles with... or 10 miles... or be crazy enough to hike 16 miles or 20 miles to the top of some stupid rock that most people only see in postcards. Pray for us on June 22.

You can check out Julie’s blog. She has a tracker so you can go on a virtual hike with us!

Since you can’t actually hike with us, I wanted to share the one perfect view of the infamous cables which most represents what I saw last year when I hiked in September. Climbing the cables defies logic, yet it can be done. The fact that it seems impossible and yet is possible is a metaphor for my spiritual life, but I’ll save that blog for another day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie has great taste in friends!

Vessel said...

Julie's knees are not as young as they used to be. Unfortunately, she can be persuaded to do crazy things.
Thanks for all the nice words.
You can do push-ups, I know you can!