Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wal-Mart Threw Up


The Wal-Mart Holiday aisle Threw Up all over my house! That’s right. Everywhere you look there are nutcrackers and pine branches and Santas and nativities and lights and red beads. Just last week, I was feeling Christmas-y and talked myself into buying a poinsettia for the center of our dining room table. Money is tight this year as we spent a lot in moving, but one poinsettia couldn’t hurt much, I reasoned. I got out Frank (Sinatra) and Bing (Crosby) and Andy and Harry and Celine and Johnny and put them on random play in my CD player. Today, breaking open bin after bin of garage fodder, I realize that red and green must be my favorite colors! I love Christmas!

Evan approached me and Joe a few days ago with a serious problem. He wanted to know what he could do to make Christmas be more about Jesus. It bugs him slightly that his sister believes in Santa Claus. It irritated him fully to see Christmas decor go up in stores after Halloween. It bothers his conscious that all around him people are focused on the trimmings and not on Christ.

Last year our family was focused on moving. We opened up all these boxes bins and picked through carefully choosing what would be easiest to take down again. Last year I was concentrating on celebrating Christmas by doing what was meaningful to the children. However, I didn’t want to do one thing more than necessary. I was especially cautious not to burn myself out. I knew last December that I had a long row to hoe after the holiday. I needed to have something left over. Last year I clung to the real meaning of Christmas with both hands. Last year, I meditated on “Emmanuel - God with Us”. Last year, I needed my Savior.

So as this year begins to unfold with Christmas leftovers from all the Christmases past, I take heart in taking out every little thing. The angel Kathleen gave me, the stockings my mother has handmade over the years, the book Delia sent us one year, the snowman our neighbors gave us, the pretty napkins I got from Linda last year, the cool English coasters I got from Jen. So many of these things are really memories. So many of these things stuffed in my boxes remind me of the special people God has seen fit to put into our lives. With each ornament I am reminded of a specific person or specific occasion. My heart is warmed again. It may look like Wal-Mart threw up all over my house, but in reality, LOVE threw up all over my house!

And in the midst of it all Evan has discovered one simple way of keeping Christ in Christmas. Everywhere we go, he makes a point of wearing his great big infectious grin when he wishes people Merry Christmas. He will probably come up with a few more ideas this year, but for now, I’m glad he has done the obvious - He gives his smile and he shares his joy.

I still need my Savior this year, but He will not be crowded out by the “stuff”. No, this year the “stuff” of Christmas represents the people, the family, the friendships and the fellowship Christ has poured out on us. The “stuff” is the fact that God sometimes manifests himself through others. The “stuff” is God’s goodness. The best stuff of all is knowing that God is with me. I’m so glad there is a season set aside to celebrate it all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sharing joy is the BEST way to infect other's with Christ's love, especially when it comes via Evan's smile! Last year when we had the kids for those few days, we all had a good time when I read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever! A little unorthodox at first...but the real meaning of Christmas shines through it all in the end! That is one of our favorites!! We miss you! Still holding out for a Christmas miracle for travel!!! Love, Auntie

Vessel said...

Thanks for that reminder. I try not to get caught up in all that is being blared over the loud speakers of this world. But, like Evan, I get irritated. Then I get mad and angry because I'm stressed over all the stuff that I HAVE to do, instead of enjoying those whose lives come in and out of mine.Thank you Evan,for loving Jesus in your Christmas.

jflins said...

Having survived the trauma of a major move and watching you do 2, I'm so glad things are working out. The stress and change are enormous!

We long for California but God has a different plan and while it's wonderfully fruitful, I feel for Linda and the kids as it's still not home. But it's much better than at first.

You take care and say hi to Joe for us. Jack & Linda