Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Reflection on Mother's Day

Mother’s Day came and went without much ado. I got a few things I needed and a few things I wanted, but mostly what I got was a lot of love and admiration. Some things are just more beautiful on Mother’s Day. I got a fabulous shrinky dink, so tiny, I can carry it everywhere. I got permission to stay in bed all day. I got a homemade fruit smoothie that was out of this world delicious. I got the best Sponge Bob Mother’s Day card ever! I got to torture my children with snapshots outdoors. I got to go to a Japanese restaurant I’ve never been to and introduce my children to the wonderful, marvelous display of a teppan chef! I got what I believe might be my very last watercolor paper flower on a chenille stem. I got moments that will never come again.

Some of the things I like best about being a mother are the things that happen and the things that are said that just aren’t planned. Like this year’s Mother’s Day, they’ll never be repeated. I’ve kept a list of some of the memories and here are a few to share.

Jillian, age 7, asked tonight at dinner, “Have we ever paid Britain back for what happened to the tea?”

Zachary, age 3, had to go potty and our local park had no bathrooms available. I told him to do his thing on a tree. He chose one he liked then proceeded. Walking away he said rather surprised, “Trees don’t have flushers!”

Evan, at age 5, asked, “Why is Jesus named Amen?

Evan, at age 6 remarked, “Mommy when I was on the stairs I could smell your perfume.” I replied, “I am not wearing perfume today.”
“Oh...well it must have just been your prettiness then.”

What are a few of your fondest memories? What moments are you holding on to and cherishing? What are the happy thoughts that give you wings to fly?

Oh! And if anyone has an answer for the first question, I’d love to hear it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved each day I became a mother to each of my children. My own children come quickly to mind....but I also remember a "Mother" Day when I was asked to be mother to some sweet peas that did not share my last name, but shared so much of my heart. I know that day actually came in the fall....but it was a priceless "Mother" Day to me!!

Vessel said...

My youngest is obsessed with getting older and the happenings of his body. He is often seen checking his "pits" for hair. One night as he lay in bed, I say my usual line,"Don't you dare grow tonight while you sleep." He replies, "Mom, pretty soon I will have hair......down there." pointing to his private areas.
OH MY!!!!!!

Denise said...

i found you!
oh this is too cute!
we have been reading about the Boston Tea Party, and you can tell Jillian i have the same question.
your prettiness does smell good!
it was so good to get to spend some time with you..but it wasn't enough!