Thursday, May 21, 2009

Making Friends in Oakhurst




I’ve been aghast at the number of new discoveries in Oakhurst. It’s always something. Many friends. Some good. Some not so good. Can you see these friends? Do you know who they are?



They are all over our house this year and I am thankful for them. Do you know why? Because I planted Zephrinine. Almost as soon as I put her in the soil, she began thanking me profusely with blooms to match my lovely hydrangea. Clair Matins has not yet arrived, but when she does, she’ll need friends like these, too. Have you figured out who these little friends are and why I am so happy they live here in Oakhurst?

I must admit, that while I was taking these few snapshots some of my not so good friends showed up. I HATE them. So far this year, I have had too many swollen, itchy, irritating parts to count. So swollen my eye was puffy for 3 days. (That was from a bite on my nose.) So swollen on another few days that I couldn’t wear my wedding ring. That little nip occurred when Zephrinine and I were first getting to know each other. Joe talked to the knows-something-about-everything boy scout troop Doctor Dad who said I have an overreactive immune system. (Whatever!)

I may have to enjoy all this wildlife looking out the window of my air conditioned house or get Joe to move me somewhere where bugs don’t bite me. (Yeah. Right.) The other option is deet poisoning. Dag nab it. I have to stop blogging now to go find the benadryl cream. I’m sure there is another one of those spiritual journey parallels about all this good and evil stuff, but I’m too distracted to care. Someday there will be roses and bugs living in harmony without mosquitoes. It will be Heaven. This life is just a shadow of what is to come. (Colossians 2:17)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

No mosquitos or really funky bugs like the ones in your pictures out here in Colorado!! All I have are about 2 spiders a year and some cool beetles. And by the way....I was just looking at the picture on your blog from August 2006 of our kids. Can you BELIEVE how they have grown??!

Unknown said...

PS - I think with friends like those creepy crawlies....my TRUE friend would be the Orkin Man!

Vessel said...

I looked for your little friends in my Sierra Nevada field guide, and found that they both missed picture day for the guide. I suspect they are beetles or borers, which immediately makes me itch or twitch. Since I am currently at war with all bugs except lady beetles, I will resound your sentiments. If those were spotted in my garden, they would be shot first and asked questions later. Mosquitoes! Now, I have risked the deet poisoning this year.

Shirin said...

They are, in fact, Lady Beetle larvae. The little red dots - are post larval or the pupal stage. If you see some in your yard, don't squish 'em. Even though are kinda creepy they are FRIENDS!

Michelle said...

Looks like you have a green thumb! I think it is wonderful that you enjoy gardening as a hobby, in spite of the adverse reaction you have from your not-so-good friends. ;-) I appreciate this post because it reminds me that I have to bloom wherever God plants me.