Thursday, June 18, 2009

Voices from Heaven

I don’t know what to make of those “afterlife” stories you hear about. You know, the ones where someone who has been in a terrible accident is on the table in the ER, sees themselves lying there and then passes through a great light. They always make a decision to come back to earth to live. I don’t know how much choice we really have when we pass on. When I think of our freedom in Christ, however, and the fact that we are in relationship with a living God, I can imagine that God, in His sovereignty, might choose to give us a choice. I just don’t know.

In recent years, I have felt compelled to pray for the Lord’s return. I feel it is imminent. So did the early Christians of 2000 years ago and that makes me smile. Maybe we are supposed to live with that hopefulness and purposefulness knowing that what we see is just a mere reflection, a mere shadow of what is to come. I’ve been meaning to read Randy Alcorn’s book, Heaven. I still don’t have it. Currently, I am reading a number of books all related to living now. I just can’t wrap my head around Heaven yet God’s voice whispers that it’s worth considering. Thinking about Heaven more might even change the way I live today. Ya think?

There’s a song I’ve been listening to lately by Big Daddy Weave. It’s called "From Here". This is the chorus:

From here, the race has been run and love’s already won
I see clearly the end and the start
From here, I’m cheering you on
So live out each breath with all that you’ve got
And know until I hold you close
I’ll be holding you dear in my heart
From here

I don’t know where my grandma is. I don’t know where my aunt and uncle are spending eternity either. I was the first in my family to get a college degree. It’s possible I’ll be the first in my family to go to Heaven, too. It’s another one of those things I just don’t know. Yet, the song encourages me to think about my future. And it encourages me to see more clearly today. While I live in the shadows, I have my own personal coach, cheering me on until my race is won; I have Jesus.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I will see you in Heaven. In the meantime, I want to live more for the Kingdom here. My hope is there, my current life is here. I want to live so that others can think beyond the here and now...I want to be the cheerleader!!!

Vessel said...

This might be long, but I read it this morning. In my book, Crazy love, by Francis Chan, he says he took his wife's grandma to a play. During intermission he asked he if she liked it. She said not really and that she didn't want to be there. When he asked why she said, "I just don't know if this is where I want to be when Christ returns. I'd rather be helping someone or on my knees praying."
She was keeping watch! I love that.

Michelle said...

It is the present which takes us into the future. Therefore, I try to focus more on the ways in which I am living in the here and now. But I, too, am encouraged by this song to think more about the future...about Heaven. What an amazing song!