Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bored? Games!

I was inspired by another blogger to write about games. Her experiences and memories got me to thinking. It’s a simple thing, I guess, and one I am not always aware of. I don’t consider myself a “board game” type of person. When actually bored, I am far more likely to pick up my knitting, turn on some music or read a book. Heck, I’ll even go for a walk or get down on my knees and just pray. As you can probably guess, being bored isn’t a common occurrence, but since I like a little variety in my life, I try to incorporate some boredom on occasion. Don’t you? If you don’t, let me just finish this tangent by saying, I highly recommend it! Be bored once in a while, it’s good for you!

 And when you are bored, take out a Board Game!

Growing up, my parents played a lot of YAHTZEE. I know there’s no actual board involved, but you get the idea right?

In my youth, I also learned how to play RUMMY. My best friend from college and I played LOTS of Rummy and subsequently, Joe and I built our courtship around this simple card game.

But things have changed and where I’ve played my fair share of Hi Ho Cherrio and Candy Land, we have recently been introduced to some really awesome games.

I love SEQUENCE. We can all play it and little ones can partner with us easily. It’s a fancy matching game with strategy to keep the old folks like my in-laws thoroughly engaged.

I also love FARKLE. We played this game with Stephen and Nicole long ago in the days before they actually made little sets with matching dice cups and dice. None of us had children back then and when one of us farkled, well..... it was both funny and slightly profane.

I love PHASE 10. It’s not my fault that the first time we introduced this game to Sheffie and Julie they swore it was a conspiracy and they would never come back to our house ever again. Poor losers.

I love MEXICAN TRAINS. 2 questions: Does anyone know what’s Mexican about Mexican Trains? Would someone please buy me this game? Guess I should put it on my amazon wish list. Last time we played it, I happily lost to Carl and Jill and Joe... but I had so much fun pushing the little choo choo button, I didn’t care.

Much of the credit for our version of family fun games goes to my sister-in-law, Mary the Annihilator. She looks all nice and sweet and harmless on the outside, but get her in a game and watch out. She’s brutal!

Mary whoops us good with an incredibly fast and simple card game called WACKEE SIX. It’s whacky alright and if you are a speedy, highly competitive player, then Wackee Six is for you!

My nine year old, Jillian, has inherited her paternal aunt’s affinity for winning, absolutely and cruelly. But, I love to play SET with Jillian. She beats me, but hey, it’s my contribution to her brain development. SET is a fabulous game of visual perception and is highly recommended by MENSA.

Jillian also is amazing at GOBBLET. Another one of those award winning games.

We all got tired of losing to her in Blink and Blokus, so we bought her a latch hook carpet kit. Jillian has done 5 now and is the process of conquering her first 500 piece puzzle, by herself.

Speaking of old-fashioned entertainments, there are some other highly valuable diversions children should be familiar with.

Thank God for Duncan Yo-Yo’s, and Auntie Mary who remembered this irreplaceable treasure and added it to our What Do You Do When You Are Bored repertoire.

This year, the boys got juggling balls in their Christmas stocking. Humility has been welcomed into the Schneider Kid Kingdom. (wink)

Quite frankly, any parent who fails to make available original SILLY PUTTY and the colored funnies, is just un-American.

But there’s a NEW standby out there. It’s called the BILIBO... and where my kids have rather outgrown its use, you can be sure that subsequent generations of Schneiders will have this toy. To ensure it’s quality, I had one sent to my 3 year old Godson, Sam. See how he likes it?

What am I forgetting? I’m sure you have now conjured up images from your childhood and are reflecting on the indoor days you spend with your kids. What do you like to play?

2 comments:

Charity Anne said...

hmmmm, we may have a job for Jillian....

Unknown said...

CLUE!!!!! My favorite growing up and a family favorite now. We especially love the Master Detective Edition. Also...Carli and her friend Ethan made up their own board game based on Clue called, Star Wars Clue!! And I must say....doesn't the company that makes Bilibo need to make an adult size?! It is only made to go to age 7! We also know a game called Fast Scrabble...you guys would love it! How about Zooreka? Or Whoonu? Somebody stop me! I am a board game junkie! And how about Trivial Pursuit??????