Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Blessing

The Blessing: It’s a book by Trent and Smalley. I’ve read it 3-4 times. It’s one of those I come back to again and again because I want to give blessings, not curses to people. When you’ve been cursed, it’s as if someone has put you to sleep and diabolically planted thorns in your flesh. (That’s not from the book. That’s from my imagination) Those thorns cause pain. Whenever someone rubs you wrong the way, they get poked or stabbed. Sometimes, the thorns themselves cause aching and anguish for the bearer. The Apostle Paul had a thorn in his flesh that he prayed to be removed. Musta been a pain.

Sometimes, the thorny nature of people, simply keeps you from being close to them. When I shop for roses I’m like that. If I see a wallop of thorns on the stems, I skip it. The suckers that often grow from good roses are often thornier offshoots of the original plant. What to do with those? You cut them off... as close to the ground as possible. You don’t let them grow because no matter how pretty the flower, them thorns are vicious! And they’ll eventually take over the whole plant. Kinda like the proverb, a companion of fools suffers harm. Keep away from the cursed!

But I am cursed. In part, I was born that way. Sinful nature and all. So in response, I read the Blessing, because I wanted to be a blessing to others. I want to be a thorn picker. One of those people who patiently de-thorns the rose stems before I put them in the vase. I recommend it. It’s a good book.


Another recommendation is to GIVE a blessing. My friend, Jill, did this for her daughter, Catey. I got to be a part of it. Here’s the “How to”.

First, have a momentous occasion. 16th or 18th birthday or a graduation. In Catey’s case, it was her high school graduation celebration that prompted the date for The Blessing.

Second, a Hope Chest is a good idea.

Third, send an invitation and descriptive letter to all significant women in daughter’s life. Tell invitees to come prepared with a written blessing to share verbally and to give to the Blessed for her Hope Chest. Explain that the Hope Chest is to be started that day, filled with the hope and promise and blessings of a future, along with colanders. (inside joke)

Fourth, make a whole lot of sandwiches!

Fifth, inconspicuously place tissues around the room (Jill forgot this part) and be prepared for the wisdom of the ages to come pouring out of the women you know who love your little girl.

Some blessing ideas: A set of candles and candlesticks - to remind her to let her light shine before men in such a way that they will see her good works and glorify her father who is in heaven. A tablecloth - a foundation on which to build service and hospitality. A quilt- to comfort her with the comfort with which she has been comforted by Christ. Tea things - to encourage her meditation. Coffee Mugs - to encourage her meditation after she has children when she needs something stronger than tea to get her going in the morning. Books that have changed your life - Sit, Walk, Stand by Watchman Nee and The Rest of the Gospel by .... okay, so you can tell... I WAS ENCOURAGED AND BLESSED! You know those 2 books are currently in my amazon cart for when I get done with the Happiness Project and Bold Love.

One of my favorite of the blessings, deserves a post of its own. Because it wasn’t just a blessing to Catey, but because it was the kind of blessing that is changing me. Stay tuned... and BYOK (bring your own kleenex).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I did so have Kleenex around. I was just hogging it!

You are one of the greatest blessings in my life! And the rest of your family.

You were blessed that I was in the hospital and my husband followed your instructions to send your son back....otherwise he would still be here blessing us with his presence!

Emily said...

so what do you think of the happiness project??? i'd like to do my own and blog about it- i see many ways in my own life in which i suck down my happiness quotient with my attitude, temper, lack of good habits..

Shirin said...

Yeah. I need to blog, too! I started a journal. A good start. Realizing in just a few chapters how many things I do that I don't even like... why? Why do I do things that serve no one and just make me crazy? Love the 1 minute rule... that's my "new thing". It makes me happy to put stuff away... who knew?

Unknown said...

I am reading Satisfy my Thirsty Soul by Linda Dillow and have readjusted my thinking to see all things that I do as an act of worship. When you are doing things for God alone, your attitude changes pretty quickly. Unless the Lord builds the house we labor in vain, so I choose to labor unto the Lord. Also reading Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow and have started a gratitude journal. That is very helpful. In the book Nurture Shock that Emily loaned me, it talks about how different in attitude people are who choose to be thankful intentionally and they start to begin to notice all the blessings around them continually. They are changed even down to their health!!

Robin said...

YAY! You're back!