Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Shot Gun!

Joe’s truck was born in Texas. It’s an old Ford 5150 (no, that’s a crazy person in cop-speak). Ummm.... I think it’s an old Ford 1150..( no that’s when I make lunch each day) Does Ford F150 sound right? ANYWAY... it’s an old black truck. When he bought it he enjoyed making me guess about it’s very unique feature... It has a gun rack in the ceiling! Must come in handy when you are in Texas, I guess. I know it would come in handy around here because there have been more than a few times we have had to pause to let some large animal cross the road. Last time it was a donkey. Kid you not. And all y’all thought I moved back to the city. Well, we didn’t!

Anyway, Evan has recently wormed his way into the shot gun seat of our vehicle. Our oldest dear sweet child repeatedly asked me about when he could sit in the front seat. However, in our family, I’m not the seating official. That’s dad’s job. I passed the buck, skirted the issue, avoided the question. Unlike most law abiding law enforcement officials, Joe isn’t a zealot about the proper use of seatbelts. Oh, we use them. Don’t get me wrong about that. But I kept putting off asking Joe about whether Evan could sit in the front seat. I really didn't want to open this can of parenting worms. Fortunately for me, Evan kept forgetting to ask his dad whether it was okay to sit in the front seat. Then finally, one day, the stars aligned themselves, and Evan was given permission by his law enforcing father to sit in the front seat.

Then, a few months later, Zachary, who is now bragging about double digits, asked if he could sit in the shot gun position. I was hoping his question would “go away”. Ever have those questions with your kids that you’d hope would just “go away”? Well, this is one of those times for me because I knew what it meant. Zachary, is far more astute, organized, and thoughtful than his distracted older brother. When he asks a question, he goes about getting an answer. Silly dad! He said, “Yes, my dear sweet boy, you may also sit in the front seat of the vehicle enjoying the seat warmers on cold days, taking responsibility for the passing of the altoids while leaving your darling mother to negotiate the terms of when, how and why you and your older brother can sit in and share the shot gun seat. Let the quarreling begin!"

Now, some psychology. I am, by developmental terms, an only child. I have a sister who is five and half years younger, so apparently, according to shrinks, she doesn’t count in my psyche and I am more an only child than an older child. But more importantly, if you think about it, when I was given the right to sit shot gun, my sister was little enough to care more about having room in the backseat to play with toys than looking grown-up and acting grown-up sitting in the front seat of the car! So, we never had shot gun issues in my family and I am totally ill equipped to deal with them!

Help! If someone doesn’t help me with my shot gun problems I don’t know what I’ll do! Shoot myself!

8 comments:

Vessel said...

Here is the answer to your problems.
You purposely leave your cell phone on a bench, step, whatever, in the garage. As you sit down in the back seat (door still open) you say, "Evan sweety, will you please grab my phone over there?" He jumps up to get it and you grab the front seat. Well, it may not work more than one time, but that is how I get my favorite spot on the couch!HeHe!

Anonymous said...

ah shirin...I have to laugh at the results of leaving certain decisions to our darling husbands...all sorts of details we then get to sort out (read that general at the middle of world war III)who knew...you'll appreciate our week in review...with baby #7 coming late April, we had to sell our beloved (and paid off)suburban which only seats 8 to get a 12 passenger van...my mind is telling me how much more room we'll have, how each kid can have a seat empty between them and their siblings to add to our peace...all good reasons I figure to take out a car loan, which we haven't had in years, and which is necessary as this day and age of seat belt laws requires an actual seat for each body....so day one in the car comes and goes in bliss...the other 6 days of the week were varying levels of escalating arguements about who was sitting by whom, who got to have a whole row to themselves, and requests every day by the 4 year old to move her carseat to a different location...ah, a mother's dream!

Unknown said...

A DONKEY??????

Shirin said...

ha ha! Charity B you make me laugh! If I were you I'd be laughing and then crying, although if I had to have 7 kids, I'd pick yours! You have great kids... but you know, I'd miss my suburban. ;)

Shirin said...

Jill, What pray does a donkey have to do with anything? Or are you insulting me?

Shirin said...

Oh yes, Jill, I get it. Of course. It WAS a donkey. We'll point him out to you when you visit. He lives in the neighborhood and likes to direct traffic on occasion.

Michelle said...

This is all too funny. The cell phone trick, the donkey suggestion...and speaking of donkeys, who might THAT be? Ha, ha, wink, wink. Shirin, if it's any consolation, you're not alone in your quandary. My 12-year old little girl (yes, I know she is a pre-teen, but she will always be my little girl) has been asking for things that Dan and I are not ready to let her have -- mainly because she is only 12!! It doesn't help that just about every student in her school has a cell phone, that some of the girls already shave their legs, and many of them are allowed to go places (like the mall) by themselves. In the grand scheme of things, though, our problems are really quite small. We just have to stand firm and guard those boundaries.

Unknown said...

Maybe you can catch that donkey and tie him in the front yard, since the previous owner took the lawn donkey!!!
Tingalay-o!