Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Santa Died


The child was nestled all snug in her bed
When Mommy came in for the prayers to be said.
Mommy was hoping to be done in a snap
And go settle her brain for a long winter’s nap.

Jillian: Are you Mrs. Claus?

Mommy: Yes

Jillian: So is Daddy Santa?

Mommy: What do you think?

Jillian: Well, if you’re Mrs. Claus then Daddy must be Santa.

Mommy: Why do you think Mommy and Daddy pretended to be Santa?

Jillian: Because you like giving us presents and you like surprising us.

Mommy: That’s right. It’s fun to give presents in secret and not to get any Thank Yous. Sometimes it reminds me of Jesus who gives us lots of good things and we don’t say Thank You. Sometimes we don’t see that it is Him who is taking care of us. Jesus loves us though. That’s why he came to earth. He loves us even if we don’t say Thank You.

Jillian: Why are you crying Mommy?

Mommy: Because I don’t want any Thank Yous. I just want to love you the way Jesus loves me.

Jillian: How can I not say Thank You when I know it’s you?

Mommy: I know it’s hard. Try not to thank me on Christmas. Try to remember that some gifts are free and Thank Jesus for His gift instead. Jesus’ gift is the best one of all.

Jillian: Jesus really loves me.

Mommy: Yes, he does.

Mommy sprang to embrace her while the tears started pouring
And away she flew to go finish her mourning.
Santa had died, the fib was now out of sight,
"It’s all about Jesus now, and One Holy Night!"

8 comments:

Unknown said...

When are you publishing your book? That was incredible! I love it! and I love you the way Jesus does....all of you, all the time....no matter what!

Echoes in Ink said...

You made me cry! That is such a wonderful post and I love you so much!

-Catey

Joe 3007 said...

I'm going to miss having children in the house that believe in Santa. I can't believe that chapter of our life is over. It's been WONDERFUL. And I've been telling Shirin for years she needs to publish a book.

Denise said...

LOVE IT! L-O-V-E- IT!

Vessel said...

Awww.
You can write the end of that novel as a "and they lived happily ever, after Santa died".
It is hard to see them grow up and not need us so much anymore.

Robin said...

oh boy am I glad I read that.

Dittoing the others who say "WRITE THAT BOOK!"

Rita said...

If only you knew what has been the process to get this comment published . . . .

Aaah, the passage of time. I remember when the Tooth Fairy died, also. May you have a wonderful Santa-in-the-background Christmas season!

Rita

Michelle said...

That was fabulous! I think that just earned you the nickname Shirin “Clementine” Schneider. I’m glad that for the time being, we can still enjoy the “magic” that Santa Claus brings every year. Since Mary is only 3 (her 3rd birthday is tomorrow!), it will be a few years yet before “the gig” is up. And like you, I will be “mourning” when that part of their childhood is gone forever