Friday, March 27, 2009

Busy

I've been sucked into the Destination Imagination vortex. My kids are going to State Championships and I've been spending all my spare time getting them back and forth to practices. Lately, I can't get anything else done. I'm trying to squeeze in the must-do's, like grocery shopping, into all the pockets I use to use for the want-to-do's, like blogging. Sometimes real life trumps virtual life. That's as it should be.

There are a few staples of my busy-life diet I try to keep firmly in place. If I don't, then I begin to look something like that odd ball on the playground that's been warped by time, deflated some by abuse and just won't bounce properly. No one wants to play with that odd ball. I try not to get out of whack and make every effort to remain steadfast as I roll around through life like a pinball bouncing from here to there.

Reading is one of the staples of my busy-life diet. This is something I read recently that's kept me more balanced than I would have been.

Satan dreads nothing but prayer.
The church that lost its Christ was full of good works. Activities are multiplied that meditation may be ousted, and organizations are increased that prayer may have not chance. Souls may be lost in good works, as surely as in evil ways. The one concern of the Devil is to keep the saints from praying.
He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.
- Samuel Chadwick


I resolved to pray even more in my busy season and the little girl in me has been rejoicing at God's answers. What helps you remain focused during the busy seasons of your life?

4 comments:

Robin said...

Activities are multiplied that meditation may be ousted...

SO TRUE!

Thanks for this very timely reminder.

how's your lucy bag?

Unknown said...

Is tehre a bag for MOI????

Seriously.....though three months ago, I would never admit this....but running MAKES me have time just to myself and Jesus. He does a lot of talking. I think he chose this way, because I am breathing too hard to talk back...I have to just listen!!! ;)

Echoes in Ink said...

I completely agree with your quote. I'm about a third of the way through Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, and the quote you included reminds me of that. We fill ourselves with emptiness in order to ignore that thing which empties us and makes us full.

I journal. I have to read my Bible every day (sometimes twice a day) and then journal my thoughts. That, and I have to make sure whatever I do, I'm literally, every single thing I do, doing it with God in mind. That's hard when it's Chemistry sometimes, but it honestly does help me a lot.

Sorry for the novel-length comment. Do you like my new profile name?

Sparks of illumination,
Catey

Denise said...

just as i was beginning to comment josie ran in wrapped her arms around me and hugged me. which makes me think i HAVE to embrace.
STOP what i'm doing and wrap my arms around each of my kiddos, feel their soft, cool cheeks next to mine, breath in and out.
STOP when my husband comes in the door and embrace. cuddle with him at the end of the evening, come back to who WE are without the little people, bills, and daily to-do's.
i have to embrace Jesus in these same ways. cozy up with him in a chair with the good book or some stirring words, cheek to cheek. Stop mid-dish-washing stair at the beautiful hill side and hug him.
embrace him in a great conversation as i taxi kids here and there. cuddle up with him at the end of the day, as he rejoices over me with his singing and i rest.
his hugs come in all sorts of ways.