Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring Fever


It's that time of year when we all get a little "Spring Fever". Suddenly, the blessings of being home with children, running errands and making life meaningful through work and play feel like drudgery. “Spring Fever” makes me ready for change.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what fills my tank. There have been seasons where Getting Away from my children was all I needed to feel full enough to return to Motherly Duties. Other times, Getting Outside with my children and just enjoying the great outdoors, doing something educational and different than the day to day table-work has totally floated my boat. Quiet Time to myself has also been one of the regular remedies for the void I feel in my spirit with time to reflect, to read, to ponder, to journal.

However, this season of life I am in, requires something altogether different. At this point I need a jolt of Creativity; learning something new, moving forward, growing a part of me I can scarcely identify. That is what is required in this season of my life. Over the last few years, this need for something new has manifested itself in a variety of ways. But most recently, I have turned into a Knitting Nut!

I recently made my first knitting store purchase on-line. I’ve visited my local knitting store so many times now, I have one of those frequent purchase punch cards. I am in the process of knitting my first sweater, knitting a bucket (yes, didn’t you know you could knit a bucket!?) and am branching out in the area of felting! I have friends who are coaching me along and at least one local knitting officianado willing to listen to me rant and rave about what I’m learning. I picked up a crochet needle (something I swore I would never do) because a few needle tricks with the crochet hook will assist me in some of my new knitting projects.

What do you need to get out of the rut you are in? What totally energizes you? What are you doing to take care of YOU in this Spring season? What helps you survive, “Spring Fever”?

3 comments:

Vessel said...

It used to be moving all the furniture around. Then, it was getting out of doors often.
Today it was a solo ride in the Subaru to my Mom's. 1 and 1/2 hours of Journey blasted in the car going 75 miles an hour. This may not be the safest outlet, but it sure was fun.

Denise said...

driving these lush mountain roads to Journey, hmmmm, maybe i'll take that up..."you should've been gone."

hmmm, well it's not knitting (i too swear i'll never do it), but this is a good post. yes, time alone use to work, time with kids use to work, but i need more now, i just don't know what that more is, but i too feel this need to create something. to at the end of the day look at my work and say "it is good."

Michelle said...

Time with family ALWAYS energizes me. Whether it’s going for a walk to the ice cream shop, playing games at the park, doing errands together, going on outings or short vacations, I always feel rejuvenated after a day of togetherness and family bonding. Spring is one of my favorite seasons because it symbolizes new growth and endless beauty. Just like your tulips.