Sunday, October 25, 2009

Juicy Morsels



It’s Juicy Morsel Season. Yesterday, my friend brought over a ton, yes a ton! of apples. With the handy dandy apple peeler corer slicer and many hands to lighten the work, I am smelling the sweet aroma of mushy apples simmering on the stove as they await their turn in the food processor. Yet another friend is in the habit of sending us Mrs. Prindables which combines the best of fall - sweet caramel, sweet chocolate, and sweet apples. Currently, I am looking for an excuse to try Snickers Salad. If I had planned better last night I would have served it to company. An apply, snickery, cool whippy new dessert I’ve been meaning to try, sounds like a juicy morsel indeed. Juicy morsels. I love fall.

Here’s a juicy morsel: When you get to the end of yourself, you get to the beginning of God.

I think that’s true, don’t you?

In fact, I think so much of that catch phrase it’s the tag-line on my emails for the last few years now. I guess I need it there to remind me that sometimes it is okay to “Let go and let God” without the cliche.

I don’t know who gets the credit for those juicy morsels but here’s one from CS Lewis. “Pain is God’s megaphone.”

Do you agree with that?

I can recall vividly when my little boy, in the middle of vomiting cried out, “Pray for me mommy!” This was his habit actually. When the stomach flu hit this kid, I learned to pray in ways I had only once prayed for myself. His passion for prayer was acute. You could hear his desperation in the tone of voice. Never have I heard anyone ask me pray for them with such passion. Pain really is God’s megaphone.

Yet another: The good is the enemy of the best.

Heard that one? In a casual conversation recently, I mentioned that phrase. I brought it up with that familiar introduction, “You know what they say? The good is the enemy of the best.” My friend replied,” No, I haven’t heard that before.”

Whoa! Some juicy morsels of truth out there still. For all of us, I suppose.

What are your favorite juicy morsels of truth to share?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here is the one I live by these days....
Do not use your convictions to judge others' faith.
And...
Only God knows a man's heart.

Michelle said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing those spiritual morsels. Here's a few I'd like to share with you.

Recently, Danielle and I attended a Christian concert featuring Steve Angrisano. He stated: "Everyday in life, we make choices...your choices make YOU!" Another oldie but goodie: "Good things come to those who wait;" or as I like to think of it, "GOD things come to those who wait." And, I saved the best for last: "Got Jesus?" (as in "Got Milk?").

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the music. It is one of my favorite Filipino folk songs, titled "Lulay", and to hear it played on a guitar makes it that much nicer.