Thursday, January 14, 2010

Good Grief!


Which Peanuts character are you? I definitely want comments from the Peanut Gallery! Do you ever feel like a failure?

I think I might be a Lucy. Free advice, 5 cents. The Doctor is IN!



In all seriousness, I believe we homeschool moms often feel like failures. Like Lucy said in the clip, “We need emotional outlets!” Where is yours?

Sometimes in our homeschool journey, and perhaps more often than not, moms deal with depression. Yeah. I said it. The big D! And often times, these losses are prompted by the truth about life. It is not our imagination or lack of faith. Circumstances are clearly not what they should be, not what God ever intended. As a result, we feel the gap between the way things ought to be and the way things are. At the very least, we are sad. The gap is an abyss and we can’t see the way out.

I’ve known homeschooling moms who have lost their parents. There are those who have lost their babies. Those, who try as they might, have had to deal with the mammoth disappointment of children who stray or the difficulty of learning disabilities. Job losses. Financial strain. Marital conflict. There are moves from one state to the next. Relationships that sever. Friendships that die. Grief.

While grief is happening, what’s a homeschool mom to do? Grieve. AND GET ALL THE STUFF DONE THAT NEEDS TO GET DONE? Yeah. I’m sorry. That’s where the profound sense of failure comes in. How do you take care of yourself and everyone else all day long, every day, all day long, every day, all day long, every day...

Here are some mighty good tips from a real live homeschool mom. I hope you like her website. I think she has a lot to offer. May Julie Bogart bless you as she has me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a dear sweet friend going through this now. Two of her babies are in Haiti. How do you deal with that and still DO all the other stuff? Sometimes it is hard to even know how to pray.......

Vessel said...

Sometimes answers aren't easy, clear, or even helpful.
I read her tips. But, I must admit that I didn't feel better.
Just when you pray for peace, disaster strikes. Just when you pray for patience, someone does the most stupid thing and pisses you off.Just when you pray for wisdom, you yourself do the most stupid thing. I'm tired of being tested and feeling guilty. I guess I am plain tired.
I resolve to sit. Maybe pray some. I waiting for God to talk, so talk already.( I hope I haven't offended)