Monday, July 14, 2008

Blissfulness of Bins, Boxes and Baskets

When I get to Heaven there will be organized bins and boxes. Did you know that? I have no idea what we have to store up for ourselves in Heaven, but at least we won’t have to worry about moths and rust destroying anything. I know there will be organization in Heaven because orderliness is next to cleanliness and cleanliness, of course, is next to Godliness!

Last year, when I moved into my new house, my friend mentioned how many wicker baskets I had. Little did she know the history of some of those earthy, friendly warm containers that lovingly cradled crackers and dryer sheets and napkins and hand lotions and clean towels. Those precious baskets would have stories to tell. Yes, I was an organizer before organizing was “in”. In all honesty, I have never been in a Stacks N Stacks or a Container Store, but I know I would feel at home there. I do love to organize. I love organizing the way I used to love shopping.

Are you having a flashback? In college, the coolest way to spend my time was to go to the mall with my friend Delia (who has the same taste and who is the same size) and 100 bucks in my wallet. We’d have fun seeing how far our 100 bucks would go. Today, however, I seek the perfect Rubbermaid, Sterlite or “pretty box” with which to put my stuff. Today I like shopping for the stuff to put my stuff in. Am I American or what?

I also learned on my recent trek up half dome that I am a Baggie Person. What a thrill to realize there’s a label for a person like me! You might think that it sounds like a “Bag Lady”, but I assure you, the compliment far extends the benefit of being a bag lady. I actually know a bag-type lady who prefers the art of dumpster diving but that is a blog for another day. No, I am a Baggie Lady. Emphasis on the “ee”. What I didn’t know I was missing out on is the new gigantic industrial strength baggie!.... with a ziploc top! Perfect for those enormous loaves of sourdough bread you don’t want to go stale. You know some mom out there invented the ziploc top. It’s sheer brilliance. Think about it ladies, how many times did having a ziploc top save you a gigantic mess in the indispensible diaper bag? Ziplocs are a godsend. Baggies will definitely be in Heaven and I will feel at home there.

Certainly, I like to organize and care for my “stuff”. In my backpack the day I hiked Half Dome I had strategically placed all valuables and not so valuables in baggies. Some genius will discover the art of color coding them that way. Some day when I’m searching through my backpack for my ipod or my camera or my nilla wafers, I can search for the COLOR I put them in. Hear that Glad? Hear that Ziploc? COLOR CODED baggies! Is anyone listening?

7 comments:

Echoes in Ink said...

Aunty, you're a genius of the most brilliant kind! Color-coded Ziplocs? God's two most potent inventions in one amazing invention. I'm all for it- and I'll be the first to buy your new invention, since I'm kind of Bag-y myself :)

-Catey

Unknown said...

Did you know that Ziploc makes baggies big enough to store piles of clothes??? They do!
Well....I know WE will definitely be in Heaven together...because you love to organize and I love to be organized....but I am lousy at it! So...what will I be doing while you are organizing the treasures I have stored up?

Vessel said...

I'm am quite sure that when you discovered the gigantic baggie, that you immediately placed a gallon sized baggie in it, filled with a sandwich baggie, filled with a snack baggie, just to make the plants align at that very moment.
What joy you are!

Shirin said...

Okay - so I am desperate - I am actually commenting on my own blog! No, really - I am remarking on Julie's comment of my own blog - YOU my friend Make me LAUGH!... at myself... and that's a beautiful thing!

Vessel said...

Oops I meant planets align not plants align. But hey, if you want your plants to align, I am sure that you could make it happen.

By the way, it's ok to comment on your own blog. You are no more or less geeky than usual and I do it to make my comment number go up.:)

I love the giant baggie, especially with all the socks in it. Are those the ones that mysteriously lose their mates?

Shirin said...

Since I now I have permission and encouragement to comment on my own blog, I will add that the gigantic, truly enormous ziploc baggie jpeg I've been sending my faithful readers IS the LONG LOST MISSING SOCK BAG! We will find them all again in Heaven! Isn't that GREAT!?

Denise said...

so after chatting with you at church i thought i had a bit of shirin catching up to do here at your blog.

I LOVE TO ORGANIZE! i feel that i have almost mastered the organization of my home (not garage), and am saddened that i may be left without something to organize one day soon.

i loaded up a back pack last week with multiple baggies for different items. color coded sounds awesome!

must go eat blueberries now :-)