Monday, October 13, 2008

Benefits of Peanut Butter (and I'm not talking protein!)

I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't really happen, but it did!

Let me take you back a few weeks and years and even decades.

Joe is not the car man. He's the roof man, the plumbing man, the tile man, the electrician man, the window and the door man, the painter man, the breakfast man, the put in an entire sprinkler system man, but let me repeat, Joe is NOT the car man. Only recently has he started changing our oil himself. Cars aren't his gift.

As it turns out, every nick and scratch on my car makes me crazy. Begrudgingly he washes my car, but in all honesty, I am the one who usually goes back through it with the Windex. When I discovered Turtle Wax and I came out of my shell a much happier woman. All I have to do is wait for him to wash the car and then go to work, then I can WAX the vehicle! whoo hoo! Shine! But then there are many days when the car maintenance is more than I can handle and I just stay inside my house... where it is clean.

Unfortunately, we are both guilty of not teaching the kids to really clean up after themselves in the car. Occasionally I'm irritable and command that someone do something in there. Occasionally he has a moment where he too, starts ordering us around about throwing away garbage. Fairly recently, we were both heart broken to find that our relatively new car, a burb with leather seats, had stains all over... from gum.... caked on....black.....worn in.....and baked in. We had only ourselves to blame for letting our kids be kids and not doing better by them or our vehicle.

But today, I discovered a new use for peanut butter. Since chunky is Joe's favorite and not anyone else's, I grabbed the jar and a roll of Viva and went out to the car. What's the worst thing that can happen? The car gets worse? It might even smell. So what?

About 20 minutes later, with Skippy and elbow grease and a few sheets of paper towels, those black ugly marks are off my seats! In the process, I had to throw a few chunks of nuts out into my driveway for the squirrels to find, but the whole process was strangely easy. Joe won't even notice that some of his chunky is missing.

Have YOU ever thought of using peanut butter as a cleaning agent? Isn't that amazing?

What HAVE YOU used to clean up a mess that actually worked? Do you have any helpful hints to share that might stun and amaze? I found my idea off the internet. Where have some of your best ideas come from?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have two words...OXY CLEAN! Upon returning from a beautiful CA day walk up to Jamba Juice and back, one of my children, who shall remain nameless (mostly because I can't remember if it was Joss or Carli!), spilled an ENTIRE original size BANANA BERRY smoothie on our off-white carpet! It actually splatted across about a 2 foot area!! I sat there staring, not knowing what to do! I thought, "If I try to clean that up, it is going to just rub in." Did I mention that a Banana Berry Smoothie is dark, dark purple? I had no idea if a carpet guy would be able to help. I literally sat staring at it for about 10 minutes. Then I thought I better clean it up the best I can and then call the carpet guy. Sure enough, it soaked into the carpet as I cleaned the excess. As I was cleaning, I kept thinking of that obnoxious Al-From-Home-Improvement look alike guy who does all the Oxy Clean infomercials. I ran to the store and got some OC. By the time I mixed the solution is was well past an hour since the spill. IT CAME OUT!!! My carpet looked completely normal! I am telling you that Oxy Clean and Spot Shot are amazing!

However, currently I have a HUGE coffee stain in my dining room from a member of our small group and nothing is working for that. Anyone able to help me with that???

Shirin said...

Firstly, don't invite him back. Friends who spill? C'mon!
Secondly, where did he (cuz I'm sure it was a "he") spill, the carpet?
OC and Spot Shot didn't work on coffee?

Unknown said...

Actually....it was a "HER"! She spilled in the dining room. But I told her now I can have Pastor Steve over because recently he said he never wanted to go to a Mountain Springer's house and see clean carpets, as it meant we weren't in fellowship enough! Still....it is pretty big and DARK AND one of the Dad's used to see vacuums and even HE couldn't get it out!

Shirin said...

Obviously SHE didn't have enough coffee yet... or too much! We used to use Chem Dry and they sell a carpet cleaner that was miraculous. Maybe see if you can locate a dealer. They may even be on the internet now.

Unknown said...

I just wasn't quite ready to give in to the carpet guy yet...I am waiting to see what your faithful readers suggest by way of home or semi-home remedy! :)

Anonymous said...

Baby-Wipes, Tide-Pens, Nail Polish remover (no color)! These all work fairly well on stains. Tide-pens are great to keep in your purse (for dribbles on clothes or ???), baby-wipes are good for carpet stains and other stains (clothes stains, too), and finger nail polish is good for deep set-in stains in clothes. You could try it on carpet, but I've only used it on clothes. If you do try it, just make sure it isn't like yellow or purple. I've also heard that PB is good to use if you get gum in your hair! I'm deathly allergic to PB so this isn't a possiblity for my family.

Denise said...

yeah, i was thinking nicole better stay out of the schneider mobile.

baby powder takes oil (butter, dressing, cookin goil) out of clothing. generously dab it in to the
oily area, and life out oil. repeat if necessary, then wash, air dry.

and michael isn't a car man either.
he is an everything else man.
we need to get a car man in our midst.
i too disappear into the house where it is clean :-)

Vessel said...

Here is the only thing I can add to this already brimming suggestion pool...mineral oil.
Clean stainless steel appliances with mineral oil. Sound weird but it really works.
Sorry, no car guy in my family either.

Shirin said...

I have to know..what is mineral oil exactly? I use lemon oil to clean/polish wood at my house. Could I use lemon oil on stainless? I just bought a cool wooden bowl and the guy said, "clean with mineral oil..." So - do I have to buy more stuff or will the lemon oil do?