Monday, October 6, 2008

Celebration

Birthdays are a beautiful thing. All ya’ll know how much I gabbed about my own, but a few more special ones are occurring even now. It seems that once my birthday hits, everything snowballs. From now through Spring, it’s shopping season for this 41’derful mommy and the economy will be mightily assisted by the Schneider Buying Spree.

More important than the presents themselves, however, is the presence of people.

On Julie’s birthday, the Jules Clan and the Denises got together. (Take a look at Denise's Celebrating Julie blog to see her tribute and a fun video.) At dinner we talked about, guess what? Birth stories. It was a conversation for baby showers but that night, it was dinner conversation. There is much to be celebrated in the birth of a child and we talked about the miraculous and painful. The main topic, Julie, however, was the special guest of the evening. It was obvious how thankful Denise and I were to Julie for having a birthday. A reason to celebrate! Thanks Julie - for being born!

A day before, we had our own quiet family celebration for Jillian, who turned 8 this year. Over the course of the week, presents had been arriving for Jilly in the mail. I had to apologize on her birthday because amazon.com had not come through. All the presents I bought and had planned on her brothers buying from me were going to be overdue. My little girl, who ought to be rather gift focused at her age said, “It’s okay mommy. When presents are early and late it just means I get to celebrate even longer!” Even last night, at Julie’s house she said, “I just feel like I’ve had the best week ever!” Even for my 8 year old, it’s not about presents. It’s all about presence.

The presence of people. The presence of God. The presence of celebration. The presence of rejoicing. The presence of thankfulness. Birth. Days to celebrate and days to remember. Cake. Candles. Song. Celebration. Blessings.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo hoo!

Hey....hiking at my house is easier! You start higher than Wawona Point!

Woo Hoo!

Vessel said...

Blessing abound.
I don't know how to top that weekend!
Maybe we do need to move the whole thing to Jill's house and do it all over again. She looks as crazy as we are. I'm sure she would fit nicely!!!
Thanks to Joe for taking some great pics at the Jules b-day.

Denise said...

what fun! glad to be a part of all the celebrating.

what a sweet sweet girl your jillian is. i am so glad we get to be a part of her life (and the rest of the schneiders too).

Unknown said...

Julie...Come on out! I AM crazy....but not crazy enough to hike the Fourteeners around here! BUT....I will have a GREAT dinner ready for you when you get back!!!! But you and Shirin have to rub each other's feet!