Sunday, October 26, 2008

What Sunflowers Do


"Keep your face to the sunshine
and you cannot see the shadow.
It's what sunflowers do."
- Helen Keller

Joshua 1:7
Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.

Years ago, when Joe was teaching others how to ride a motorcycle he often would tell “wipe-out” stories. A primary flaw in a new rider is the tendency to not look where you are going. “Always, always, keep your eye on where you want to go,” he would tell them. Those who did found success.

Proverbs 4:25 and 27
Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.


I am horribly unathletic and where I would never in a million years be taking motorcycle riding lessons, I did eagerly agree to learn how to plummet down a slippery, snowy and icy hill. When I learned to ski, my teacher gave me similar instruction, “Keep your eyes focused on where you want to go.” So far in my skiing experience, I have kept my skis from swerving too far to the right or to the left and have kept my feet from wrapping around trees and tripping over rocks. There are always things I can not see, but those evil obstacles I can see, I have successfully avoided.

Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Recently the kids and I got to visit a friend from church, Traci, who graciously shared her passion with us, horses. I am still kicking myself for not bringing my camera. If you want to catch a glimpse of Traci, you’ll have to find her on another day HERE at Denise’s blog, when she gave of her generous self to the Jones’ kids. Denise, did you get to ride?

I got a chance to ride Virginia (which cracks me up since that’s my mother-in-law) a chestnut thoroughbred who is as soft as silk and patient as a lamb putting up with an awkward Me upon her back. Traci’s admonishment, “Look where you want to go.....” Following the voice of instruction, I was (moderately) successful.

At church on a recent Sunday our worship pastor showed a video clip which included a time lapse scene of a sunflower field. The Sunflowers followed the sun as it arched across the daylight sky. Their faces always shine toward the light. Can you picture it?

Ruben, If you read my blog, can you forward me the link to that cool video?

Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus .....

How I long to keep my focus where it ought to be, to be ever mindful of the direction I am headed in, to not swerve to the right or to the left but to walk in the way I ought to go. Don’t you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YES! And there have also been times in my life where I have wanted to take my eyes from the path the Lord was leading me on. But like the sunflower, I could not turn away. Because no matter what I want....God has made me dependent on Him, and desiring of Him. Sometimes a cloud passes, and I don't know where to look for the Son. But those times pass, mercifully....and again my face seeks the Son.

Denise said...

beautiful words shirin.

no, i didn't ride a horse. i left my kids with traci, and rode off in my van to some peace and quiet.
but i will have to someday!

i skied once. i was doing well, keeping my eyes before me. michael thought i was doing so well, he took me on a steeper hill. it took me 1.5. hrs to get down! i couldn't keep from looking ahead, at it's steepness!!! fear set in, ahhh!
i have never skiied again.
but the experience made for a great young life talk, about fixing your eyes on jesus.

followed by this song by susan ashton (remember that name)

Sometimes I get lost, sometimes I get oh so scared
When these wires get crossed, somehow I end up nowhere
But there is where I turn from what I sought to gain
And there is where I learn that I've only to call upon His name.

Chorus:
It's in my Father's hands and I have no fear
There's no point making plans when His hands can steer
Why should I so small and frail, carry life's demands
When He can see where I might fail and where I might stand
It's in my Father's hands.

Sometimes we go wrong, sometimes we get one track minds
Thinking all alone that we can handle life just fine
But there is where we turn and find it's not to gain
And there is where we learn that we've only to call upon His name.

Chorus:
It's in my Father's hands and I have no fear
There's no point making plans when His hands can steer
Why should I so small and frail, carry life's demands
When He can see where I might fail and where I might stand
It's in my Father's hands.

Why should I so small and frail, carry life's demands
When He can see where I might fail and where I might stand
It's in my Father's hands
In my Father's hands...



so here is my prayer for you (and me)..
may you stand in our Father's hands only, and may He be the one who steers always..going before and behind you.

Ruben Quintana said...

The church actually owns that video. I'll get you a copy. Ask me sunday. Rq