Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's Mail Time!

Some of you know my friend Jill. Those of who don’t know her, probably wish you did. She is a barrel of fun in every way. What homeschooling mother of five allows her daughter to wear hairstyles (in public!) that rival both Pippi Longstocking and Bob Marley? Did you know she lets her boys parade around defrocked in nothing but superhero underwear, cowboy boots and swords? She even lets her 2 year old make cell phone calls (without permission) across states! Jill believes the purpose of the school supply store is not school supplies....no, the purpose of the school supply store is to supply props for parties! Jill is a Party Mom. She is not especially proper. She is not a perfectionist. She is not stuffy. No, Jill is the real deal. Until you REALLY get to know her and find out about her one vice, her MALL TREE. (say it with me - Mmmmmmmaaaaaaawwwwwwwwllllll Tree)

There aren’t too many hard and fast rules in Jill’s house except those regarding the Mall Tree of course. One of the rules is that the MALL TREE is only donned in STOREBOUGHT ornaments - pure white and precious silver and gobs of glittery gold! Last year, or maybe it was the year before, I dubbed the Mall Tree the Tree of Sheba. This gaudy thing has got to go, I think to myself. I can’t see how such a loving and grace-filled mom, full of spontaneity and joy, can MAKE her children NOT TOUCH it and NOT DECORATE it with the ORNAMENTS from their wee precious creative little hearts! NO, she buys them their own humble, meek and mild little green tree to decorate so that the Tree of Sheba remains PRISTINE.

So, this year, I am sending the Tree of Sheba a few little gifts of my own. And, if Jill doesn’t use them, the whole bloggedy blog world will know how prissy she can be. So, if you think this is a dare... a challenge....an opportunuty for personal growth... you are RIGHT Jill..... here they come! HOMEMADE ornaments, which I believe are worthy enough even for the Tree of Sheba. And I expect to read a blog about it.....very very soon.












PS - Many thanks for my accomplice, Julie, who last year, purchased the supplies at a proper craft store so I could craft these ornaments and to my children, who afforded me time to put the lovely ornaments together.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First off, the tree has NO SILVER or WHITE. It is a pristine OFF-white and glittery gold tree.

And, why am I now worried?

And Julie OWES me big time! Just because she CAVED to familial pressure and let her family decorate her tree with their....um....uh....stuff, does not mean I HAVE to!!!!

I can't wait for the package!!

Vessel said...

Sorry Jill, I was weeeeeeeeeeak.
Hold your ground and let them have their own tree.
Bah-hum bug.

Emily said...

you two are a stitch!!!!! and i agree- the tree of sheba needs to meet her populice-