Wednesday, December 2, 2009

No Doors

Jillian and I were having a discussion. It was her attempt to keep the looming sink full of dishes at bay. She had KP. But, I always appreciate conversation even if it is under the guise of an ulterior motive known as procrastination. This is how it began.

Jillian: Who is your best friend?

Mommy: Oh, I have a Friend Collection.

Jillian: Yes, but who is your best?

Mommy: (invoking child’s moral compass to not press me) That’s so hard. It’s like you are asking me which of you children is my favorite.

Jillian: Yes, but who is the most special?

Mommy: (trying to evade the qualitative question with philosophy) God has given me the most special people at just the right time in my life. They fit into my life just when God needed them to. God gave them a special job at just the right time. God created a spot in my heart where only they reside, even if I don’t see them or talk to them any more. Each one is special.

Jillian: Yes, but which one is the best?

Mommy: (trying to skirt the issue further with humor; a lighthearted anecdote meant to distract the 9 year old) Well, your Aunty Jill and I have an agreement. I will live next door to her in Heaven.

Jillian: Heaven won’t have any doors.

My daughter is right. Heaven won’t have doors. Jesus won’t have to stand at the door and knock anymore. In fact, everyone will be welcome, all the time, everywhere. Can you see us all there? I’m sure I’ll fall back into habit and attempt to introduce you to my friend, Jesus, and we’ll laugh! We ALL know HIM! And we’ll get to know each other anew and introduce each other to each other’s best friends, special friends, family members, neighbors and acquaintances. There we will see each other for who we were always meant to be.

Heaven won’t have doors. So why do we have them now? I don’t know. Maybe it’s so that Jesus has something to knock on.

If Jesus is knocking on your door this Christmas Season, will you consider answering? Will you open your door and let Him in?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, yeah, nice post. I STILL get live next to you in Heaven!!!
Doors or no doors!

:D

Vessel said...

You both can visit my heaven-home in Yosemite Valley 2 after the new Jerusalem has settled! come over for tea.

Shirin said...

Can we eat all the sourdough we want?

Michelle said...

I can see why Greg Laurie is one of you "favorite Christian teachers". After listening to him speak about "How to Know God", I can honestly say that Greg Laurie is now one of my favorites too. This video is too precious for words. Thank you for sharing it on your blog.

Unknown said...

Okay.....I am DEFINITELY in on sourdough and Julie's heaven-home! But, I have to have coffee. No tea. Yuck!

Denise said...

i look forward to that...no doors, with him or with each other.