Friday, April 16, 2010

Leisure



W. H. Davies
Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—
No time to stand beneath the boughs,

And stare as long as sheep and cows:
No time to see, when woods we pass,

Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:
No time to see, in broad daylight,

Streams full of stars, like skies at night:
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,

And watch her feet, how they can dance:
No time to wait till her mouth can

Enrich that smile her eyes began?
A poor life this if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

Can you relate?

2 comments:

Vessel said...

Sorry I couldn't finish reading the whole poem...I had to go make bread....haha. Just kidding. Yes I can relate. I miss naptimes, and outings at the playground sandbox. But, not enough to have another child at this time in my life. I guess I will have to slow down when there are grandkids to be had. Leisure time is certainly pushed back farther and farther.

Charity Anne said...

love boring and mundane at times.