Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Forty One'derful Birthday!


Yes, it was. I dare not blog about it for fear I’ll sound like I am bragging, but I just can’t believe what a wonderful day it was!

It shouldn’t have been a good day. I mean, my aunt died in July and it was the day the truck was coming to deliver Auntie’s stuff to my house. When he finally arrived several hours late after giving me the run around about having to hire a U-haul, he opened the back of the truck and I got weepy. Memories of my dear aunt were in a truck.

But even before that moment, I had to get up and get dressed. Because he said he might come as early as 7 we had to forgo the Schneider family tradition of breakfast in bed, which is the very best part of any birthday day. And I didn't get breakfast in bed.

So, it should have been a challenging day.

Evan didn’t do well on Chapter 2 of Grammar. Problems already. Ugh.

Jillian balked at having to make up a few of her own math sentences. More ugh.

My nose is still running and my throat is all hacky and I couldn’t read as much history as I was planning on and with each day of my snuffly hackiness, we’re getting farther behind and then we had to rush out the door and onto piano lessons.

We ran out of both milk and eggs. WHEN will I get to the store? I’ve got to volunteer for the first time at MOPS tonight. Am I going to have energy at the end of this day?

It should have been a stressful day. But it wasn’t.

When we got home from piano, guess what happened....

FRIENDS! With CAKE! MADE FROM SCRATCH! And all their beautiful silly unique children with BALLOONS! And moms with their BLOGGY CAMERAS! The frosting was melting since they were waiting on the porch (I was late coming home from piano), so I ushered them in to my messy house with Auntie’s stuff all over everywhere since nothing has a place of its own yet.

I should have been uptight. I wasn’t.

The cleaning supplies were on the counter since we had a leak under the sink. The dog kept licking Denise to welcome her to our abode. She had never been at my house before. There was laundry on the couch. BUT IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY and I was with FRIENDS! Who sang me happy birthday and served me cake.

Is there a better day?

When it was time for me to rush onto church, Julie took my kids to dinner. BLESSING MY CHILDREN!

Oh yes, one more marvelous thing - at the end of my amazing day I got to crawl into bed wearing the most amazing pajamas. Jilly purchased them with her very own money and was so happy I liked the color. If you have a Gottschalks near you - go NOW and get the softest pajamas ever in whatever color that suits you. They are wonderful. My day was wonderful. My FRIENDS made it wonderful.

thanks - Josie, Noah, Garrett, Megan, Julie, Denise, Zach, Jillian, Evan, Jeremy and Emilie for giving me the perfect present - YOU and surprises and TIME and love and LAUGHTER and honesty and simplicity and BLESSING.

Zachary said, “I didn’t think today was going to be a very great day, but it turned out 41’derful!” Yup. thanks to terrific people, it sure did.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Awwww! What a wonderful set of friends you have. And those pajamas do look comfortable. Jillian has great taste! Enjoyed reading about your special day. Happy Birthday 41! (Sorry, I couldn't resist). P.S. Just read the previous blog too and, I must say, I like the dyslexic b'day idea. That means I'll be 24 in a couple of months. Yay!

Denise said...

your terrific!