Sunday, September 7, 2008

An Ode to My Friends and More Thoughts on The Shack

I love my friends. All of them. God has seen fit to give me one or two gems during each season of my life. I’ve got the Junior High Friend who eventually became one of a few good High School Friends. I then added a singular College Friend and eventually a few New Mommy Friends came along. Recently to my treasures were added the Women Who Prayed Me Out of the Pit Friends or CC (for Caretakers Club since I had one foot in the grave at the time). The CC Friends all live in Colorado. One of my CC Friends once told me when we were just getting to know each other, “It’s hard to know who’s going to be a ‘Keeper.’”

I like that word: Keeper. I Keep little corners of my heart for those I am especially fond of. Each Keeper knows a part of my life and where they are free to roam within the whole of me, they usually hunker down in the familiar places set aside just for them. When they are there, my heart is more full. When they are not, my heart feels a little bit empty until they, or I, return or write or call.

What I love about Keepers God has put into my life is that because they have access they see who I really am. In the midst of that knowledge, they have given me the freedom to be me. No matter the circumstances, the falling in and away and back in again; the lack of intimacy for months or even years on end, abruptly ending with a “Hi! How are you?”. The words of wisdom that might otherwise chastise and hurt, from the mouth of a friend are both freeing and edifying.

The little gifts of words and time blossom into familiarity. The sound of a friend’s voice, affirming words, understanding, the distinct scents my dear girlfriends wear, scattered memories of crazy sneezing, laughing fits, dye jobs, eating too much, drinking too much, movie lines we can quote, breaking out into 80’s dance music, the habits and rituals we’ve created be they wontons, wine, sipping coffee, late nights of satisfying conversation....so many things come together to make me feel whole and even be whole. Sharing. That’s what it’s like being with my Peeps, my Keepers, my Friends. Relationship.

Real Love is not forced. I wish I were a sponge who could soak that in completely and wring it out on everyone I know. My friends don’t force. Jesus is like that. He doesn’t force Himself on me. Friends simply open the door. Jesus says, “I stand at the door and knock... I will come in.” Kind. Loving. Accepting. So often, my friends have given me the right words, at the right time. Depth. Cutting to the chase. The perfect question causing my mind to swing from presumption and posturing back to truth. Relationship. Relating. Being Real. That’s what I love about my friends. That’s what I need so desperately in my God. That is what I’ve found in Him.

What does this have to do with this book everyone is talking about? I’ll tell you. My friends love me at all times....even when I’m not so lovable..... even when I’m distant.... even when I’m a mess. That’s The Shack. That’s my God.

6 comments:

Denise said...

beautiful words.

Unknown said...

It is all about dependency. No matter where our friendship might take us...even if it were in messy places....you can always depend on me loving you because of the relationship the Lord has blessed us with! I will always be your enabler...in a good way!
I love you dearly!

Vessel said...

That knowing and defining friendships is a great asset to be able to express. Thank you for accepting my friendship.

lindsey said...

hey! i found you! email me at thepleatedpoppy@gmail.com if you're still interested in some notebook covers. thanks, and have a great day!

Michelle said...

What a beautiful tribute to your friends. Such loving words from a loving heart. I think God has surrounded you with “Keepers” because, when it comes to following Christ, you not only talk the talk but you walk the walk. I believe that everyone we meet, whether for 5 minutes or 50 years, is meant to touch us in some way; and that there are lessons we can learn about each other -- even from people who seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Robin said...

I love that thought about "Keepers".

I think you're a keeper!

Hugs!!