Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Forty Wonderful


Do you remember the line from Ben Hur, “We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live.” ?

Do you ever have days like that? Weeks like that? Do you ever feel your friends or worse, your family and especially your husband, keeps you alive to serve THEM?

I know all moms feel like that at one time or another, but as the years have passed, those days are fewer and far between for me. No, I’ve got something else in common with good ol’ Judah Ben Hur....

Cook well 41.

Teach well 41.

Read well 41.

Brush my hair well 41.

Serve me well 41.

Slice my sandwich well 41.

Bigger scoop of ice cream, please 41.

And my favorite, Sleep well 41.

Yup. My kids are hysterical. They’ve been commanding me all week.

Somehow, and I think it started with my husband, my kids caught on to this very funny joke because as of Thursday, I am 41. Unlike Chuck Heston however, I am no slave.
I am princess! I am queen! I am Mom!

It is my birthday and they are alive to serve me and make me feel special. My ship will sail today like no other. I will savor every moment. I will be royalty.

My 13 year old will make breakfast and attempt to make coffee. My 10 year old will clean the kitchen. My 7 year old won’t argue with her brothers and will unleash a present unlike any other I’ve ever received that she especially bought, with her very own money, for ME!

It will be a 41’derful Day!
Ramming Speed!

2 comments:

Vessel said...

That's right!!!
You go there, Ben "Her".

Happy Birthday. If you do like Denise and I do, your dyslexic birthday year is 14!!!!

Denise said...

the dislexic birthday thing won't work for me again till i'm 40.

it was fun to celebrate YOU yesterday.

you are much more attractive than
Ben Hur!

Happy 41-derful!