Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happiness Project, Chapter 1

My mother and nephew are coming this week. It’s no week to clean my closets. But just so you know, the Happiness Project isn’t just about cleaning closets. In all honesty, I don’t know what it’s ALL about. I’m only on Chapter 2. Today, however, I thought it was time to share what I have been doing about Chapter 1.

Vitality.

For a moment, however, let me move along to Chapter 2 on marriage. Gretchen Rubin reminds her readers of the business school truism: You manage what you measure. She even applies this principle to RELATIONSHIPS. As I read along, it makes a lot of sense. I have a feeling the Happiness Project is a lot about managing and measuring. As I mentioned previously, my fondness for list-making makes this the perfect book for me.

“It is by studying the little things,” wrote Samuel Johnson, “that we attain the great art of having as little misery, and as much happiness as possible.”


Many years ago, I figured out I like to take small steps. I like to achieve. I like to meet my goals. Overwhelming goals like losing 5 or 10 or 15 pounds just aren’t my style. I prefer goals like, I will eat a salad every day. That I can do. I will walk on the treadmill at least 20 minutes 5 days each week. That’s so much easier than training for a marathon. And I feel good when I do what I say I will do. I agree with Samuel Johnson, for me, it is in the little things.

Sometimes I call my little things, Take Away Points. They are the nuggets of truth or measurable principles I can walk away with and do something about. After church, our family always discusses the Take Away Point. Half the fun is hearing everyone’s different points of view and realizing that when God speaks, there are lots of Take Away Points possible! Doing something about something... well, there’ll be more in Chapter 2 on that subject!

The biggest Take-Away point for me from Chapter 1 is this: The One Minute Rule. Don’t postpone any task that can be done in less than a minute.

I LOVE THIS RULE!

It keeps my underwear from sitting in the laundry pile on the couch.

It keeps crumbs off my counter.

It keeps books stacked neatly.

It keeps pillows happily propped in their proper places.

The One Minute Rule creates energy. Hence, it is my primary Take Away Point from the chapter on Vitality. Gretchen Rubin talks about exercise and sleep and organizational goals like cleaning your closets, but the One Minute Rule is easy to implement and has already made me happier.

What is making you happy?

4 comments:

Emily said...

i loved chapter1!
for me-- it was sleep- i tend to put it off b/c night time is my only time to read or get things done- so then i go to bed late and wake up cranky and then it's NOT a good day- so for me- i am trying to go to SLEEP by 9:30- which gives me a full 9 hours if i don'r un, 8 if i do:)

Unknown said...

I would be happy to be able to get up and have quiet time with a cup of coffee and Jesus....alone. Maybe some day. But until the boys learn to stay in their room without yelling, "Can we get up now?!" Over and over, I am happy for the moments I do get sometimes.

Vessel said...

I am happy for long talks and visits that take longer than one minute. I guess I am still old fashion that way. Some things just need more time than a passing minute of thought.

Robin said...

It is making me happy that you are reading this book. :)

I loved it and found it very motivating.

Right now I'm liking that we leave for California tomorrow. WOO HOO