Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jillian Got Bap-i-tized

Jillian got baptized Monday, August 11, 2008 . She is 7 going on amazingly mature and godly. She is absolutely her parents pride and joy which is saying a lot since her older brothers are extraordinary people. The only problem Jillian has is that even though she has grown in a myriad of ways, she still can’t say “baptized”. Everyone she met this last week she asked, “Do you want to come and see me get bap-i-tized?” THREE syllables. Lots of people came.

One perplexing element of Jillian’s decision to be bap-i-tized is that we don’t recall exactly when she understood the truth about Christ and His sacrifice for her. We don’t remember that she ever prayed the sinner’s prayer. We don’t remember when she may have asked Jesus to come and live in her heart. I have a vague recollection of her telling me she had prayed to receive Jesus as her Lord and Savior after a Sunday School class. I must have thought she was too little to remember or know what she was saying. I must have thought she would do it again. Who knew such a little one would know and understand what it is to deserve blame and yet be blameless. Who knew Jesus would never let her go after that? I have to admit I missed the opportunity to rejoice with her. What I failed to do, the angels were doing, however. God’s face has shined on her ever since.

Since 2006, Jillian has been fixated on baptisms. She was always asking questions about what it was like, why they do it, and why did Jesus do it. She had the all the usual questions about the baptismals themselves and how the pastor actually dunks you. At one point she asked, “Can you wear swim goggles?” Jillian has been thinking about following Christ into the water for a long, long time.

But her journey has only just begun. There will be high times, low times and times when God seems distant. I came to the knowledge of Christ through the book of Ecclesiastes... not your usual recommended Bible read for a new Christian. Yet, the truth about the vanity of the world and its ways caused me to cry out for a God.... if He was there. God answered me 25 years ago. Today, I rest in the knowledge that my very good God now has hold of my daughter and by doing so, He answered one of the most important prayers I ever prayed.

For my daughter I am glad she will always know God loves her. He has been there from the beginning. He has been there from her beginning. He will always be there. He won’t ever let her go. Praise God with me and watch this video. Bass Lake is practically in our backyard and for many years, our church has baptized followers of Christ here. Every baptism is wonderful, but this one has a truly wonderful setting to prove it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!!!Jilly! Congratulations, may the Lord lead you all the days of your life!! Bass Lake is a special place for me too....I spent a summer working at a Christian Camp there and spent many days on that lake. What a beautiful place to have made that important decision for Christ!
~Love, Lisa Lowe and family

Unknown said...

Father God, I praise You that You are the Author and Perfector of our faith! I praise You for Your graciousness in calling our precious Jilly to be Yours. Thank You for the faith You gifted her, that she could easily step out in faith and acknowledge Your grace in her baptism. Jesus, You are so precious to us....thank You for precious Jilly! I pray that You would make us all aware of the gifts You have bestowed on her, and that You would give us wisdom to lend her so that she will use all those gifts to Your glory. She is a gift, Lord, as You know. I thank You for giving that gift to our family! In Jesus' name....Amen.

Jilly....you are my other unbelievable daughter....and now...you are my SISTER! Did you know that? Actually, when you asked Jesus in your heart, I became your sister! Your sister in Christ. You looked even more beautiful in that lake.....must have been the reflection of Jesus in your face!!! I love you so much!
Auntie

PS - Shirin....your hair is ADORABLE!!!

Anonymous said...

Jillian, You've made the most important and best decision of you life! We are rejoicing with you! Can't wait to give you our congratulations in person over Labor Day weekend. You can take us to the lake and show us where you were baptized.
Love you lots, Auntie Mary

Vessel said...

There must be such happiness as God bends down from heaven to hear and witness a baptism. Congratulations Jillian. It is not easy to stand out in front of people and do that, but you have given God the glory for your life as a witness to us all of his love for you.
I know that God has some amazing plans for you and a grand path to take you down.

Denise said...

i LOVE that! LOVE IT!
what a beautiful time to be a part of, and what a sweet story.
Augustine says this-"Even in childhood was implanted within me a trace of that mysterious unity from which I was derived."
Jillian gets that mysterious Unity.
She is a beauty and blessing, i look forward to knowing her and watching her grow.

Anonymous said...

Jilly you are a beautiful girl with a true reflection of Jesus radiating from you. I am so glad your mom put together the video of your special day. Tears of joy run down my cheeks as I watch it and give thanks for you and the relationship you have with Jesus. Please keep sharing what you know about Jesus and what he is doing in your life - that helps me to grow too. We love you and look forward to seeing you soon.
Lots of love - Melissa and the Profio Family

Michelle said...

Jillian, I first met your parents more than 20 years ago, and I can honestly say that they are two of the most God-loving and faithful Christians I know. And although I know you only through your mother's blog, I can sense that you are a sweet, loving, and affectionate child. The fact that you chose to be baptized tells me you are mature beyond your years. Wear it as your badge of faith, hope, and love. Congratulations!