Thursday, August 7, 2008

What about Football?

Futball or football, known in the US as soccer, has a sordid history, apparently. This I did not know. I am becoming a history buff as I homeschool my children and have had a particular fondness for the history of Britain. I read the biographies of Eleanor of Aquitane and Mary, Queen of Scots just this year. I'm not all that interested in the politics of recent years, but boy some of those old movies rock my world. A Man for All Seasons. Anne of a Thousand Days. The Lion in Winter. Even though they took creative license with Elizabeth - the Golden Age I can't help loving Cate Blanchett in the role. Who doesn't relish the history and legacy of the Virgin Queen?

Elizabeth I is credited with one of my favorite concepts of all time. She declared that she had "no desire to make windows into men's souls". Sure would love to have been a fly on the castle walls 500 years ago. However, today I can't help wanting to make a window into men's souls in the UK. What is it about their football? Why don't they have an Olympic Soccer Team?

With the likes of David Beckham at their disposal, why aren't they competing? Does it have something to do with Victoria's fashion sense? Are they closet Scientologists who have a prejudice against anything that worships human achievement instead of aliens? (If you don't get this joke, google Scientology) No! The reason the Brits don't have a soccer team in the Olympics and haven't since 1964 has everything to do with William Wallace. Seen Braveheart? Do a little deductive reasoning or read about it in USA Today.

Fascinating stuff. And I thought I was going to be a couch potato for 2 weeks. Guess not. There is so much to learn in this great big world of ours. But I gotta go. The opening ceremonies are tomorrow night, but the sports have started already. I want to savor every bit of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I'm going to go watch TV.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yahoooo! That means I can watch Braveheart for units on Greek History, Olympics, British History, and Sports!!! Could I watch Braveheart and call it PE????