Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Shack - First Thoughts - not a spoiler

We started. We began the conversation. We mulled over ideas. We reckoned with Truth. A few hours later it only seemed like a few minutes and the meatloaf was waiting. We aren't done yet. Jill and I have more to talk about. Do you want to join?

Here are my thoughts after I got off the phone with my fellow book-reviewer.

This God that seems so incredibly familiar to me in The Shack; is He the God of my era? is He the God of my limited theology? is He the God of American Evangelical perspectives? is the God of what makes sense today?

OR is He the God of Billy Graham?
is He the God of CS Lewis?
is He the God of Eric Liddell?
is He the God of Martin Luther?
is He the God of St. Francis?
is He the God of the Apostle Paul?
is He the God of John the Beloved Disciple?
is He the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?


Would the God personified in this book be familiar to the men and women who have walked with God over the centuries? Is the God of the Shack consistent with all we know or think we know about Him? Could He be the God for any where and all time?

What do you think?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Your thoughts on this book have definitely piqued my interest. I will have to add this one to my growing list of books-to-read. I look forward to reading the reviews from your blog readership.

Unknown said...

I am still reading it. I really, really liked the chapter with the Judge, Sophia. When he begged not to have to make his choice and said what he did (sorry to be cryptic....I don't want to give any part of the book away)....It was such a PICTURE of Jesus' love! I still don't know if I like the book. I think I like it. We need to talk again as soon as I am done. Also....I was making meatloaf that night, too!!!