Friday, August 22, 2008

The Shack - Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity - not a spoiler

I hate Christian fiction. Like a lot of modernized things, it just can’t compare with the richness of classics like Anna Karenina, Uncle Tom’s Cabin or Count of Monte Cristo. The moral truths expressed in books of that caliber seldom compare to the books published today. However, I’ve come across an interesting book this last week that ought to be read. When I am done reading it, I may change my mind, but for now, let me just say - I recommend it - pick up The Shack by William P. Young at a library near you. Its content is startling.

People are saying it’s controversial, but I’m not sure why. I am curious enough to read other’s opinions but am afraid that it will color my own; therefore, I have deliberately avoided googling the book and tracking down all the hype.

I’ve got a phone date next week Jill from Adoptyuen who, like me, struggled getting passed Chapter 4. She also promised to push though it with me so we could talk about it. I just got done with Chapter 8 and now I am thinking maybe, that’s the whole point of the book.... To give us stuff to talk about!

Here’s a few excerpts that have got me thinking.

p.122, God, referring to Himself as part of the Holy Trinity explains, “We don’t need power over the other because we are always looking out for the best. Hierarchy would make no sense among us.”

p.124, Jesus, making reference to mankind’s social and political and religious structures says to the man, “If you had truly learned to regard each other’s concerns as significant as your own, there would be no need for hierarchy.”

p.126, God responds to the man’s questions about suffering, “You try to make sense of the world in which you live based on a small and very incomplete picture of reality. It is like looking at a parade through a tiny knot-hole of hurt, pain, self-centeredness, and power and believing you are on your own and insignificant. All of these contain powerful lies.”

p.145, Jesus replied, “To force my will on you is exactly what love does not do. Genuine relationships are marked by submission even when your choices are not helpful or healthy.”

When you talk to God, does He say stuff like this to you?

Have you read it yet? What are your opinions?

Will you read it? Why or why not?

Note to my Teeny and Tweeny Blog Readers: The Shack may NOT be a good book for you. Check with your parents before you dive in and/or have your parents talk to me.

2 comments:

Denise said...

shirin,
i'm reading it too.
it get's even better.

i too do not see why it is controversial.

there is much to chew on, so much in fact i will have to go back and read it again and mark it up.

i am gaining a new perspective on things so common place in my "christian" thinking. this new perspective is good, and i as i see it truth i didn't get before.
i am always thankful for words that stir my heart to truth.

Anonymous said...

have read many negative reviews and haven’t found a legitamite one that doesn’t twist the meanings (usually in a very nasty tone). I love to read a friendly negative review where the person is willing to have a discussion instead of an strong “Your wrong and going to hell” attitude. Christians have such a hard time disagreeing.

I wrote a lengthy review addressing the controversies on my blog